If I get in a wreck in the United States, but I am not a US citizen, can I still sue?

Woman driving a car with a panic look on her face while her hand is up as if she is about to crash.

In 2018, it’s estimated that 11% of the residents of the state of Texas were non-citizens. Some non-U.S. citizens are long-term ‘guests’ and workers, but many are simply waiting for the formal process of immigration to be completed. Then consider those who may simply be visiting for the day for whatever reason. That’s a large number of people potentially driving on Texas roads who may not be citizens of the United States.

So, what happens to a non-citizen who is involved in an accident, which happens to nearly everyone upon occasion?

If they are simply tourists or short-term visitors, many people will rent a vehicle to drive. And most car rentals require some amount of insurance on those vehicles. That helps cover some of the losses which might be incurred if a non-citizen is in a wreck.

But what about additional expenses beyond repairing a car or truck? What about injuries a non-citizen might sustain through no fault of their own from an accident while driving in the U.S.? Can they sue for damages the way a U.S. citizen could?

Generally, yes.

Non-citizens have the same legal right to fair compensation for damages (to the vehicle, other property or a person’s health) as citizens. That’s why it is just as important for non-citizens to contact an attorney after an accident as it is for citizens.

We have offices in Houston, Corpus Christi, and Victoria; and will travel to any corner of Texas if we are capable of preventing an injustice.

Carrdigan and Anderson

Unfortunately, many non-citizens are worried that they may not be able to get medical assistance or compensation for other losses from an accident even if it was not their fault. That’s not true, and it is important to follow some of the same general advice we might offer to citizens who are in a wreck.

If the emergency workers suggest you should be evaluated by a doctor at a hospital after an accident, it is always a good idea to do so. Some people think they should just wait and seek help later if they start to feel worse, but that makes it more difficult to prove the injury was caused by the accident.

Get the insurance information for the other driver.

Take photos, if you can, using a camera or cell phone.

Wait for the police to arrive to investigate the accident. Leaving, even if you think you are able at the time, makes any future claim for damages very unlikely.

If you have any passengers riding with you, they have the same rights to fair compensation for losses from an accident that you do – regardless of their citizenship status.

Contact a good attorney.

Representing the injured in all areas of Texas that extends back over 40 years

Carrdigan and Anderson

The attorneys at Carrigan & Anderson will help you to gather the information you will need to follow up on any claims later. They will help you to protect your rights and recover from your losses – regardless of your citizenship status.
Contact us at CarriganAnderson.com or you may text us at 361-648-6888. Se habla Español.

At Carrigan & Anderson, PLLC we can talk to you about your options and rights.

Carrdigan and Anderson